All the Spokane food-related stuff that I can't figure out how to wedge into my other blog.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Super fast awesome chili

I think the deal with proper chili is to use cheap, tough cuts and stew/braise them forever with chilies. And I dig that. But I also like to have a quick pot. Here's a variation of chili that I make with sausage. Super 1 has great, house-made, fresh sausage. I use their chorizo for this one. I always do a different chili thing but there's always a fresh pile and a dried pile of chilies.

My buddy Rachel gave me a handful of super hot little fresh chilies from her garden. I also have some fresh ones from my uncle. Since both Rachel's and Uncle Danny's chilies are so hot, I went with New Mexico dried chili for flavor.

If I get  a hold of pablanos, I roast/peel them, then use them.

This takes 15 minutes to get rolling. Once it's cooking, by the time you're done cleaning, you could eat it. But I like to simmer it for about an hour.

I have this for breakfast with a fried egg on top and a tortilla on the side. Yum.

Remove the chorizo (I've got 5 here) from their skin. Brown em.


While the sausage is browning, chop your stuff: fresh chilies, an onion, a bit of carrot. Don't chop up the dried pepper!

Chopped stuff.

Take the sausage out, but leave the grease in there and cook the peppers, onions, etc

When the onions get translucent, dump some beer or water or wine or stock in there. This is Coffee Joe beer.
Scrape the brown bits up.
Put sausage back in, dump a can of diced tomatoes in there. Beans are optional.  Add a bit more beer if you need to. Throw a bullion cube in there for good measure.
Simmer for at least 20 minutes.
Done!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, did you take that many colored ones from me or did you ripen them up that much in the last few days?

    How was it? I'm sure it was way, way hotter than I could stand. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They colored on their own as they sat in a open jar in my kitchen. They're very pretty.
    Buyt those little bastards are hot. My family was coughing from the fumes as I cooked them and just chopping them up I could get whiffs of their hotness. I only used about half of them.
    Breakfast this morning was a great wake-up with this batch.

    ReplyDelete