This is an old Liza chestnut. It's standard by Leek Potato Soup standards. Liza whips out some version of this soup on a pretty regular basis. I like to eat it with Brother Bru Bru's African Hot Sauce and crusty bread.
Liza got this recipe from Eliot's Extraordinary Cookbook. But she's made it so many times that it's sort of become her own.
- 2 leeks, cut lengthwise, cleaned, and chopped.
- 2 TB butter
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Saute leeks with butter over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and salt and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mash with potato masher.
- Add milk, season with pepper and more salt to taste.
You can vegan-ize this recipe by swapping out the butter with olive oil and the milk with soy milk. No one will ever know.
You can also add left over salmon or frozen corn or other interesting things too, ya know.