All the Spokane food-related stuff that I can't figure out how to wedge into my other blog.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sushi.com

Agedashi tofu

Ok. Get over the name. Yes, it's the dumbest name of all time for a restaurant. But forget about it, because Sushi.com is the best sushi place in Spokane.

Right off the bat I should explain my sushi snobbery. There's an American tendency to screw up good food from other countries. The jalapeno-popperization of sushi is a perfect example. I'm not into sushi that's been injected with cream cheese and/or deep fried.

That's not sushi to me. That's like calling deep-fried mozzarella sticks "Italian." Generally speaking, Spokane has a big old hard-on for injected, californiaized, and fried "sushi."

Salmon skin roll - aka "Alaska" roll

Sushi.com will make sushi-poppers with the best of them, but unlike the majority of sushi places in town, Sushi.com has the basics (e.g., "normal" or "traditional" sushi) dialed in.

Right off the second bat I should mention that I'm no sushi connoisseur either. I just like fresh raw fish. It's really really easy to tell when fish is not fresh. Cause it smells like fish. I cut my sushi teeth at a place in Bellevue called Kiku's. I worked down the street from Kikus and went there at least a couple times a week for years. So that's the benchmark. Good or bad. I'd like to think it's good, since the great sushi and sashimi and Japanese "comfort food" that I had while visiting Japan was very familiar to the food at Kikus. So there!

So. I dig Sushi.com. I dig the people that work there. And given that just about all of the front-house staff and sushi chefs have been there since the beginning, I think they must be doing something well. And I dig their fish. I've tried every sushi place in town, Sushi.com is my favorite.

Your basic salmon sushi. Hard to beat this.

I wish they had more traditional Japanese comfort food there (katsu curry, tonkatsu, etc), but they've got lots of fun appetizers and plenty of non-beef/chicken/pork options.

Some of my favorites:
- Alaska roll. Funny name for a salmon skin roll. It's done well, with nice crispy broiled skin and it's dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure it's just under $5.

- Agadashi tofu. Nicely fried tofu with dipping sauce. Under $5 also.

- Seaweed salad. Standard, but yummy. Also cheap.

- Oysters on the half shell are rad when they have them. Super clean, drizzled with a touch of rice wine vinegar and finished with a dab of rooster chili sauce. These guys really sparkle. When those aren't available, I go for the baked oysters.

- Aji sushi - also a special. Aji is mackerel with a light vinegar sauce. Served sahimi style. In my experience, this is a good touch stone to sushi places. If you order it, don't do the soy/wasabi deal -- it's ready to eat!

- Salmon sushi. Always fresh, yummy, and perfect.

- Maddie loves the kid chicken terriyaki plate: aside from the chicken, it has a potsticker, some tempura, rice, salad. It's around $7.

Sparkling oysters. Blurry picture.

I love a great spider roll when I'm out with friends and these guys have a passable spider roll, but it's no award winner.

All in all, Sushi.com is a favorite for this family.

2 comments:

  1. For vegetarians the Curtis Roll is wonderful. I get it without the avocado because I'm not an avocado fan much of the time. It's covered with a thin fried tofu skin--I can't figure out how they create that so beautifully. They also have edamame, miso soup and some other vegetarian options. You can always request your own combo although I love the Curtis roll so much I've never bothered.

    We got one of the appetizer combos--can't recall the name--that was several bits of wonderful pickled vegetables. Carrots, maybe eggplant, something else? Yum.

    Our younger kids (12 & 10) thought the teriyaki plate was awesome too. "Best sushi place ever!" they said (I think it's the ONLY sushi place they've ever been to).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it--the pickled veggie dish is tsukemono. Try it!

    ReplyDelete